Saturday 4 October 2014

Keep Life Simple

Most believe that technology has made our lives more convenient and enjoyable. Imagine an evening without electricity or trying to contact your love ones without a phone. Especially with regards to communication, now we can instantly talk or send messages to our friends all over the world via the internet without having to pay a hefty sum for it. These conveniences were not possible just 20 years ago and that shows us how advance technology has progressed.

But are we much happier with all these luxurious conveniences? The answer is sadly NO. Nowadays I see people are having closer relationships with their mobile phones than their human partners. In public transports, cafes and even office, they can't seem to pull their eyes off their mobile screens. If there is a message coming through when they are talking to you, then they would excuse themselves and attend to those messages. The very technology that was designed to create a global village has in fact separate us apart and making the fundamental physical relationship less intimate.

And what about Facebook? Just take a look at your Facebook's newsfeed now and see what you get. They are all junk information and most of them are untrue. But we love checking our Facebook all the time just to see what other people's are posting. Or constantly checking minute by minute how many likes we have generated so far with the photos that we just posted.

All these extra activities are taking up too much of our time and they are eating into our lives. I remember when I was very sick earlier this year, I completely detach myself from any social media because there were just too much negativity from them. Technology didn't help me stay connected but disturbed the serenity of my life instead. '

I found it much more peaceful just to hold onto a book and read it. I got so much fulfillment and productivity out of it. Every time when I read, I feel that I'm learning and growing. That I'm not wasting the time that is given to me. You should know by now that our existence here is impermanent and there is an expiry date to it. It is indeed crucial for us to cherish every moment that we still have and do something meaningful for us and others. 

You don't have to climb the Everest or build the tallest building in the world to prove to others that your life is meaningful. Meaningful life comes from all the little things along the way. You can definitely feel it when you have done something meaningful. 

I hired two contractors to pave my driveway yesterday. I have a little chat with them and found out that they are also from the same country. They are just been here for two months and have never stop working 7 days a week. Furthermore, they are only paid $110 per day by their boss instead of the standard hourly rate that is common in Australia. I thought that was terrible, their boss must be really taking advantage of them. Most new migrants are often taken advantage of by the locals. I know that because I have also experienced it personally when I first came here. Most people thought Australia is a compassionate and friendly country but the reality is unfortunately quite the opposite. You would only feel their compassion and friendliness if you have money.  

So I feel very bad for these two guys and I offered to cook them a nice hot noodle soup. And when I brought the two bowls of noodle soup to them, I simply felt so good. I was happy to send loving kindness to two complete strangers. I felt I have done something meaningful that afternoon.

If we consistently perform these simple act of kindness to everyone we meet, then our lives will be much more fulfilled and we are a happier person. Simplify our lives, get rid of all the junk information that are being fed to us on a daily basis. Watch less news because you don't learn much from them other than knowing about other people's mishaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment